Saturday, August 1, 2009

Basic French Toast

A friend called me last night asking how to make french toast. I was kind of surprised by this. I guess I just assumed that everyone knew how to make french toast. Here's a recipe that I've been using since I got married. It works great every time!

8 pieces of bread (could be white or whole wheat)
4 eggs
1 tbsp milk
1-1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
powdered sugar (optional)
butter for serving
maple syrup (or your favorite topping)

This recipe serves four, but remember you are just learning a method here. You always want a ratio of 1 egg to 2 pieces of bread. Crack eggs into a shallow dish (I use a pie plate). Pour in milk and sprinkle in cinnamon. Whip eggs until everything is well combined and egg yolks are broken. Set a large skillet or griddle to medium heat. Once pan is ready take two pieces of bread and place into egg mixture. Once coated with egg mixture flip over to other side. Immediately place bread into skillet. Generally it will take about 1-2 minutes for each side to brown. Once done place on a plate and immediately butter each piece. Pour hot syrup on top and the lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

So funny, just made that this morning for my son, he calls it Tubby Toast, from his days of watching "The Teletubbies", sad cause he is going to be 8 and still calls it that.....Anyway add alittle Vanilla to the eggs mixture! it sooo sweet!!!

Tara said...

LOVE the idea of putting in a little vanilla. I'm going to have to try that the next time I make it!!!

Denise said...

Great recipe.